Breakfast burritos

I know this isn't anything that's going to rock anyone's world, but I recently fell in love with frozen breakfast burritos.  I came into a TON of eggs in a short period of time, and I needed some way to use them.  Anything that can make mealtimes (especially breakfast) easier is a big plus.

These are kind of like pizza--you add whatever toppings/insides you like.  My first batch were just eggs, potatoes, cheese, and bacon/sausage.  If you want to cut back on a few carbs, you can leave out the potatoes.

Here's my attempt at a step-by-step (I sometimes daydream that I'm a real food blogger):

**I decided that real food bloggers don't have kids because their pictures all seem spotless & perfect**

First, I fried up some potatoes in a little bacon grease.  I love my ceramic-coated pan, by the way (see, I can do product placement!).  I like them crisp on the outside, but left them a touch underdone so they don't get soggy when I microwave them.
 This time around I added mushrooms & red bell pepper.
 Half were bacon...
 Half were sausage...
 I used a dozen eggs, and I cracked them right into that Ninja because I hate whisking eggs.
 I used some colby and some pepper jack cheese.
 Note on the eggs:  leave them a bit underdone, too, since they'll likely cook a bit when you reheat the burrito.

I let everything cool before assembly to avoid excess water/steam that might make things soggy.
 I'm terrible at portioning correctly.  I ended up with 14 burritos (I was aiming for 12, to match my eggs), and the first ones are definitely smaller than the last.
 Wrapped in plastic wrap, and labeled.  B = bacon, S = sausage, and the #2 tells us it's the second batch, so there are added mushrooms & peppers & different cheese.  I'm also a labeling nerd.


Don't mind the spying kid in the lower left...
I reheat right from the freezer on the defrost/reheat setting.  I usually have to stop it early because I don't want the tortilla to get tough.  A friend of mine recommended freezing the filling and then grabbing new tortillas daily, and I might try that next time.

Comments

Popular Posts